Wednesday 2 May 2012

Concrete Tiles

Concrete Tiles embellished with fabric. These tiles i created at college. I used these images in my Retail Final Project. My inspiration for these came from m any places. One Artist in particular was Bethany Walker. Bethany revisits everyday elements from the built environment through knitted and embroidered threads and fibres which are combined with concrete and cement. These details interpret our often overlooked surroundings of which concrete and cement is a significant and fascinating part. She uses the combination of hard and soft materials to explore the reversal of the traditional viewpoints of inside/outside and to highlight concretes new 'fashionable' status which has seen its development from utility to luxury. Bethany uses both bought and found materials which reveal the contrast of new and worn, bright and dull, man-made and natural, all of which feature in the built environment. Found objects are manipulated through stitch, knit, and print to translate the marks of the ground.

Here are images of Bethany's work. Bethany went through a procedure of which I imitated. I began to collect plastic containers, all at various sizes. At the same time i was creating small delicate pieces of which i could embed in to the concrete. I then went on to mix the concrete, placed my deisgn at the bottom of the container face front, and placed a sheet of plastic over the top, in order for my design to be clear. I then poured the concrete on top and left untill dry.













 













1 comment:

  1. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
    Ceramic flooring

    ReplyDelete